Welcome to a great health benefits idea.
Many business owners in Canada don't know that Private Health Services Plans (Health Spending Accounts) are available to cover the health expenses of their families and their employees.
PHSPs/HSAs are available to every Canadian business, incorporated or not. With these plans business owners, their employees and families get comprehensive health coverage while enjoying substantial tax savings. They are an effective alternative to a traditional premium-based insurance health plan - or can be used to top-up that plan.
Features of a Private Health Services (Health Spending Account) Plan
- Incorporated businesses including contractors, consultants, tradesmen and professional corporations all qualify.
- They can also be used by unincorporated sole proprietors or partnerships.
- There are no premiums because claims are paid by your business - which only incurs a 5% administration fee per claim when it is submitted. Claimants pay for their health services upfront and then get reimbursed.
- Because your business pays the cost of the PHSP/HSA claims these plans are 100% tax deductible.
- Reimbursements to employees are a tax-free benefit (except in Quebec).
- YOU determine the Annual Limit for your employees, so your business can budget effectively in advance.
- The Eligible Services are much more extensive than with insured plans. They include almost every conceivable health service provided by a registered health professional. See What Is Covered? for details.